The sweetest recipe ever...Banana and Blueberry Muffins
- posted by Stole
• 3/4 cup nonfat or low-fat buttermilk
• 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
• 1/4 cup canola oil
• 2 large eggs
• 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 3 medium)
• 1 1/4 cups whole-wheat pastry flour (see Note)
• 1 cup all-purpose flour
• 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
• 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
• 1 1/4 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat 12 (1/2-cup) muffin cups with cooking spray or line with paper liners. 2. Whisk buttermilk, brown sugar, oil and eggs in a large bowl. Stir in mashed bananas.
2. Whisk whole-wheat pastry flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and nutmeg in a medium bowl.
3. Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and stir until just combined. Fold in blueberries. Divide the batter among the prepared muffin cups (they will be full).
4. Bake until the tops are golden brown and a wooden skewer inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove and let cool on a wire rack for at least 5 minutes more before serving.
TIPS & NOTES
• Make Ahead Tip: Wrap and store at room temperature for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 1 month. To defrost and heat frozen muffins, remove plastic wrap, wrap in a paper towel and microwave on High for 30-45 seconds. | Equipment: Muffin tin with 12 (1/2-cup) cups.
• Note: Whole-wheat pastry flour, lower in protein than regular whole-wheat flour, has less gluten-forming potential, making it a better choice for tender baked goods. You can find it in the natural-foods section of large supermarkets and natural-foods stores. Store in the freezer.
• Storage smarts: For long-term freezer storage, wrap your food in a layer of plastic wrap followed by a layer of foil. The plastic will help prevent freezer burn while the foil will help keep off-odors from seeping into the food.
Per muffin: 232 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 36 mg cholesterol; 41 g carbohydrates; 13 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 248 mg sodium; 163 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat, 1 carbohydrate (other), 1 fat