Follow these tips to avoid injury:
• When starting an exercise program, begin slowly with low-intensity exercises.
• Wait at least 2 hours after eating a large meal before doing strenuous exercise.
• Wear appropriate shoes for your activity and comfortable, loose-fitting clothing that allows you to move freely but won’t catch on other objects.
• Warm up with low-intensity exercises at the beginning of each exercise session.
• Drink water before, during, and after your exercise session.
• When exercising outdoors, pay attention to your surroundings — consider possible traffic hazards, the weather, uneven walking surfaces, and strangers.
Stop exercising if you:
• Have pain or pressure in your chest, neck, shoulder, or arm
• Feel dizzy or sick to your stomach
• Break out in a cold sweat
• Have muscle cramps
• Feel severe pain in joints, feet, ankles, or legs.