Major benefits of EFA are:
- Supports the cardiovascular system
- Provides essential building blocks for the brain and central nervous system
- Plays a part in cellular processes that are critical to the body
- Supports overall joint health
Omega-3 fats come in different forms:
- ALA (alpha-linolenic acid) cannot be made in the body so must be eaten in our diet. It has important functions and is needed to make other omega-3 fats. ALA is found mainly in vegetable oils, rapeseed and linseed (flaxseed), nuts (walnuts, pecans and hazelnuts) and green leafy vegetables.
- EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid) and DHA (docosahexaenoic acid) are long-chain fats that can be made from ALA in our bodies. They have the most direct health benefits.